Saturday 25 February 2012

Coffee Cake


Coffee Cake

This is another recipe which I have taken from my Mum's collection (Thanks Mum :o) ) I remember enjoying this cake when I was growing up but moaning about the addition of the walnuts, which she use to substitute for other toppings. 

This is the first time that I have used this recipe and I have made it for my Mum's birthday. I started to realize that this was a brave move as I didn't make any spare cake for testing and didn't want to cut into it to test it out. So I spent all evening convincing myself that I had made a mistake but as it turns out she loved it and it tasted quite good. It's an easy cake to make and can also be turned into scrummy cup cakes so why not give it a go.



Ingredients

8oz Self Raising flour 
 1 level tsp baking powder

6oz caster sugar
6oz margarine/butter
3 eggs
3 tbsp coffee 



Method

  • Pre-heat the oven to 190’c
  • Make up some coffee with 1 tbsp of coffee and a little hot water then mix well. Put to one side and leave to cool
  • Sift together the flour and baking powder into bowl
  • Put all ingredients into the bowl including the rest of the coffee and mix well
  • Poor into cake tins and bake for around 25 minutes (I found that around 20 was enough in my oven)

For the icing

  • Add melted butter, A little coco and coffee to the icing sugar and mix with warm water until smooth. I used coffee which I mixed with a little warm water rather than straight coffee granules.






2 comments:

  1. I can tell you it is really scrummy and nearly as good as mine ;o)

    Thank you Laura for a lovely birthday cake xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum! Not quite as good as yours yet :0) but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

      (I'm happy for a first attempt) xxxx

      Delete