Monday 7 January 2013

Sewing Fun!!

Sewing Fun!!!



On the 6th of November I had my first ever sewing lesson with an old friend and ex colleague Sarah Waghorn who runs a company called i.make (https://www.facebook.com/i.makehomedecor) she welcomed me into her home along with a friend and current colleague of mine. We had a lovely evening and were made to feel very welcome, there were a few giggles alongside a few frustrated groans and the night was an overall success.

 At this time I had kindly been given a sewing machine by John’s mum but I did not have the pedal and therefore no power, it wasn't until the evening of November  14th that I received the bits that I needed to get the machine working. 


During the evenings of that week I spent my time tinkering and testing my new machine and developing skills. I found out whilst at Sarah’s that I could sew a lovely straight line but curves weren't my thing. so I spent my time practicing this on John’s old shirts and sewing bits of fleece onto old fabric.

Before my lesson I had ordered a book from Amazon called 'Sewing Machine Basics' I had been reading it for a little while now so I decided to go ahead with my first project the envelope cushion cover. I cut up an old quilt cover and set to it. I completed the cushion cover very quickly and was surprised how easy it was it didn't even look that bad ;-)


I had already decided that I wanted to make my Mum an apron for Christmas and this happened to be project 3 in the book. So I cut up some more of my old quilt to start practicing. I got about half way through when I decided that I was going to go for it and start the real thing. I ordered the fabric from the internet then set off into town to pick the bindings and thread. I made the apron without any real dramas and it looks really impressive (even if I do say so myself) I felt soo proud of my work and really enjoyed every minute of it. And so my new addiction begins!! Watch this space for more projects and interesting makes.






3 comments:

  1. You have done really well, and I am so impressed and proud of my apron...which has been worn several times I might add.

    Also love the camper cushion covers that you made for your bros Christmas pressie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am glad that your apron is being worn and that you love it so much that's what I was hoping for.

      Matt's Cushions shall be added soon. Xx

      Delete
  2. Well done Laura, that's quite an achievement and this is well set out and written too.

    ReplyDelete